Wednesday, June 14, 2006

“For tracklist and salutation, please visit...”

Greetings! If you came to Voguing to Danzig for the expressed purpose of finding this message, then you’re in possession of one of the twelve copies of MALIA’S AMNIOTIC SUMMER DAYDREAM in existence. Before I go any further, I’d like to thank my dad for graciously taking the time to burn these – it’s deeply appreciated. This compliation is intended primarily as a tribute to my unborn daughter, even though the subject matter of the twelve (there’s that number again) songs doesn’t necessarily point to childbirth or childhood or fatherhood or anything; there’s no underlying theme or parable to be found (though if you uncover something I didn’t intend, feel free to expound in the comments section). Just some music for you to listen to at your leisure – and a collection for Malia to dip into at whatsever point she finally does become interested in pop or rock or what have you and subsequently determines that dad’s CD/mp3/holographic mind cube earbud stash ain’t cool – a way for me to share something of myself with you at this particular moment in my life. I strongly doubt that everything here is to everyone’s taste, but it’s my sincere hope that I’ve managed to include something you’ll like or love to the point of wanting to learn more or some aspect will engender internal discourse or alter one angle or another for you. Listening to the finished product on the way in to work I realize that the overall tone here is somewhat darker than originally intended; this CD is probably better suited for contemplative evenings at home than for highway driving on sunny days with the windows rolled down and sweat stinging your eyes.

Enjoy – and thanks, as ever and always, for being such a great person/friend/parent/spouse/compadre. You’re eternally phenomenal, but you already knew that.

1) HENRY JACOBS “Guitar Lesson”
2) DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE “Soul Meets Body”
3) MATMOS “Stream and Sequins for Larry Levan”
4) TOM VERLAINE “Meteor Beach”
5) TORTOISE & BONNIE “PRINCE” BILLY “Daniel”
6) THE YEAH YEAH YEAHS “Gold Lion” (Nick Zinner remix)
7) RADIOINACTIVE “Tarantulas”
8) SUNN O))) “Cursed Realm”
9) THE MINUS 5 “Retrieval of You”
10) THE ESSEX GREEN “Don’t Know Why You Stay”
11) ISLANDS “If”
12) SETH KAUFFMAN “Black Biscuit”

1 comment:

minorpoet said...

RayRay: Excellent post. I'm getting vicariously excited. I'll have my own moments like these, in 2 years.

Are you making copies of these and sending them out? I don't own all the artists here.

d