Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ripping off the Riffraff? Yeah, yeah...

1. Metacritic houses links to a decent number of reviews from major magazines and newspapers, though alt-weeklies are slighted and, really, whoever runs the site should think about expanding its reach a bit. Here are a pair of examples of, just, really incisive and fascinating writing that I didn't even know existed until I started randomly plugging in books and records that've been on my mind lately: possibly the most thoughtful and considered Bret Easton Ellis piece I've come across this decade and an extremely writerly and well-crafted Jay-Z takedown. Dang. 89 VOGUES

2. So, Needlegun. Noise or genre-averse crusaders? I don't rightly know, but I can't stop trying to figure these Baltimore dudes out, and I don't see myself giving up anytime in the immediate future - even after my Signal-to-Noise review's done and turned in. And their Myspace page makes me smile everytime I read it. 95 VOGUES

3. Driving it “like you stole it” through a crowded office park: not cool, not cool. You’re not Jimmie Johnson, you probably didn’t steal it, and in all likelyhood you’re a complete and utter jackass. Striking a pedestrian may equal ten points and broadsiding another car three, but all the non-transferable points in the world mean exactly zilch when you’re doing hard time because you were living it up in a delusional fantasy world where you mistook every last stretch of asphalt for the Autobahn. -57 VOGUES

No comments: