Friday, September 05, 2008

9/5/08 - THE WEEK THAT WAS: MOST EXCELLENT VS BOGUS AND SAD

The Republican Convention: Most bogus and sad, what I glimpsed of it while flipping through the dozen-plus cable channels that were televising it, live, this week, en route to anything fucking else. (Alecia and I actually watched that 90210 re-boot for a while! Yeah, I know. It's not so terrible.) Those huge American flags flapping in the breeze in slow-motion. Everyone wearing ridiculous hats and looking haughty. Sarah Palin effectively saying "Sure, John McCain, I'm totally psyched and happy to be your pandering tool." Sarah Palin in general - I mean, just look at her. No, wait - don't.

Nu-90210: Brenda got old, dude. Old. But points to Shannen Doughrty (probably a misspelling, but I don't care enough to look it up right now) for saying "fuck plastic surgery and Botox and coligen injections, I'ma be me." Kelly? Also old, but wearing it well. And there's the usual poor rich-kids drama going on, only the newbies are from Kansas instead of Minneaopolis this time, and one's a black adoptee, and breaking yr parents' rules now amounts to flying to San Fran on some hot trust-fundee's private jet. Not excellent, not bogus - just there. but I'd tune in again.

PaperThinWalls biting the dust: bogus but inevitable. Still can't quite believe it happened. Time to get back on the crit hustle.

Nodin's 2nd Birthday Party: A rocking-horse recycled from a trash-heap bound bedframe? An interactive alphabet toy? Wings of all varieties and termperatures? A massive Cummings delagation driving up from Baltimore to attend? Good will, laughs, and hugs all around? Excellent - and most triumphant!

No comments: