Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Season of Discontent, Part II: “Let’s Give Peace a Chance,” or “Can’t We All Just Get Along?”

So I think I’ve finally figured out my favorite Breeders song. It’s not especially catch, not even in the same league as “Cannonball” and “Iris” and “Summer” and I haven’t heard Title TK at all so maybe I’m full of suet. Anyway, “I Just Wanna Get Along,” that’s the track, and I don’t remember any of the verse lyrics or the hook really or anything else, except that the chorus consists of an exasperated Kim Deal blurting “I just wanna get along” over and over again as though she were stuck in the middle of an endless argument she’d had enough of but couldn’t find any way out of. She sounds tired and deflated and defeated, and lately I can definitely empathize.

It’s funny. I scribbled four pages of pathos on a legal pad two weeks ago in my mom’s living room, when I was supposed to be working on book reviews but got too emotionally overwrought about other stuff. Now this is turning into a running series of soapbox grouses, a way to just sort of unburden myself. I don’t know that I’m feeling any better yet. Maybe I said this elsewhere but sometimes I feel so fucking powerless in the living of my own life that it scares me. Are you there, God? It’s me, Raymond. Can we make some kind of deal?

Enough, enough, enough. Happy Thanksgiving, pass the gravy.

No comments: