Monday, July 16, 2007

Things I Learned Watching "Miami Vice"

--“Go-fast boats.” Oh, come on. Just call ‘em cigarette boats like everyone else!

--You know, until I saw the preview for Minority Report on some cable channel this past weekend, I’d forgotten that Colin Farrell was even in that movie at all.

--The cinematography here is flat-out astonishing, resulting in a movie that’s a feast for the eyes – sumptuous darknesses and delectable colors as the action shifts from Miami coastlines to Hiatian slums to Cuban nightclubs to whevever the drug-lord plot leads – which makes up for the fact that it’s a struggle to follow what’s happening. Gong Li’s dialogue is next to inpenetrable, but that’s okay because everybody else is delivering their lines in baffling cop shorthand code-speak anyway. If it all seems needlessly bizarre and confusing, rent some DVDs of the original show and you’ll realize how faithful this movie actually is to its source material. Subtitles, yo!

--Someday, director Michael Mann will film a crime saga set entirely in a bustling, major American metropolitan-area coffee-shop. Dude so wants to do this; I can feel it, it’s palpable.

--A couple of years ago, cousins Kevin, Kandace, and I tried to take the edge off of our grandfather’s funeral by going to see Road Trip at an Edmonson Road theatre that no longer exists. I bring this up because it was the first time I ever heard anyone – Kandace – use the term “cruc” as an adjective, in sort of a slang dress-down of “crucial,” i.e. something necessary or indispensible. Would it be flippant of me to follow a similar course by shortening “palpable” to “palp” in casual conversation? Or would it just make me sound like a jackass?

--Alecia pointed out that Big Booty Trudy is played, here, by the CIA whatshername from post-tuxedo, post-Bond Pierce Brosnan vehicle After the Sunset – a slice of cinema notable for generating lame, studio-paycheck work for a ridiculous Don Cheadle, a not-yet-dead-by-OD Chris Penn (cameo), and Salma Hayek’s ample, heaving cleavage – which is something I never would have realized on my own.

--If real life were anything like this movie, the cresting crash of an Audioslave song would invariably signal the impending arrival of hot hetero booty action.

--Mann et al. deserve a great deal of credit for not turning this into parody/farce ala so many other 70s/80s TV shows gone big screen (see Starksy & Hutch, which was actually pretty, uh, cruc, and Dukes of Hazzard, which was a total waste of time). The sinister, malevolent gravity James Edward Olmos brought to the role of police (chief? captain?) Castillo is sorely missed, but forget that these are different actors and the milleu’s contemporary and this could double as a 4-part storyline from the show’s small-screen run. When I learned that Farrell and Jamie Foxx were gonna be starring as Crockett and Tubs, I was among those who cried BS. Surprise - they pull off these roles way better than imagined, right down to the so-intense-it’s-lethal stylized garbage (cf. Bloom County) chatter.

--Mogwai’s tasteful integration into the soundtrack = not as surprising as a Nonpoint cover version of Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight” during ye olde climactic gunfight face-off. Speaking of that gunfight, it reminds me of the running street cops’n’robbers throwdown in L.A. from Mann’s own Heat, which succeeds in making extended gunplay seem really boring, tedious, and confusing (moreso here because it’s happening at night).

--Mann loves him some gratuitous shower scenes, huh? Wow.

--Not feeling the Crockett mustache. Heavy stubble’s a no-brainer, but a stache? Nah.

3 comments:

brandon said...

!!!!!! 'Miami Vice' is sort of slowly becoming my favorite movie of all-time. It's currently resting at "6" between 'Mean Streets' and 'Aguirre the Wrath of God'. Glad to see someone else "get it", so many seem to hate this movie. The ending with Mogwai makes me cry everytime I watch it, haha.

Also, thanks for the Lil Wayne link!

Raymond Cummings said...

I liked and admired it, but didn't outright love it the way I immediately did some of my recent favorites (Syriana's the only one that comes to mind right away, and it isn't all that recent!). It's possible that I need to see Miami Vice 2-3 more times to get a real handle on it so my comprehension of the action (I've got the broad strokes and implications in check, but) can better match my appreciation of the atmosphere. Sure, one could argue that if you understand the big picture you win but that isn't quite enough for me somehow.

Still scratching my head that Mogwai were involved at all, but it totally fits. That last song, I spent an hour trying to figure out what it was and couldn't even get close until I went to the movie's Wikipedia page.

Brandon, can you fill me in (or do a blog post about) the est of Mann's ouevre? I'm clueless beyond MV and Heat, and wanna explore.

No prob w/r/t the link! It made me laugh out loud.

brandon said...

Hey-
I was just excited someone else liked it, I can't expect anyone else to be head-over-heels in love with it as I am.

My opinion on Mann is sort of weird and not typical, so I may not be the best person to take seriously. The only other Mann movie I see as crucial is his first, 'Thief'.

'Manhunter' isn't bad but sort of goofy. I've never sat all the way through 'Last of the Mohicans' (Lewis' accent is absurd. There's an old Ben Stiller Show skit that even parodies it).

'Collateral' is great until its third-act but still worth watching and 'The Insider' is interesting.

Never seen 'Ali' or 'The Keep'.

There's also a tv movie from the 80s called 'LA Takedown' that is something of a "Dry-run" for 'Heat' but it seems not available. I'd love to see it.

Its my opinion that Mann should probably just stick to minor-to-epic crime movies...