Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Truth Continues To Be Stranger Than Fiction Could Ever Hope To


Was tooling around on http://www.wikipedia.com/ and came across the above, which is the cover for "Tarantula" -- the first single from the Smashing Pumpkins' upcoming re-formation album, Zeitgeist. (Their best song in ages, seriously.) All indications are that I'm not hallucinating or dreaming this because when I pinch myself, nothing in my frame of reference is changed in any way; the photographs, papers, CDs, and other crap in the cubicle is solid and constant in appearance, there's no blurring or bleeding of colors, etc. (You posting a response is further confirmation that I'm not high or losing my mind.) So this is real. Still, WTF, Billy Corgan? You broke up your band seven years back because you were sick of competing with the "Britney Spears' of the world"; now you're back and Paris Hilton - a vacuum who actually has less of a right to be famous than the former Mrs. Kevin Federline (or Federline himself) - is your covergirl? Life is insane. And yet I can see the thought processes that probably led Corgan to do this: (a) he's a fairly hated-on rock celeb personality, and probably felt a connection with the even-more hated-on (if not an iota as talented) Hilton, (b) he wanted his comeback to make waves and generate as much hoopla as possible (i.e. releasing this album in like 13 different editions via various retailers) in a world where any news story/icon's lucky to sustain anybody;s interest for 10 second before clicking on the next blurb link, and (c) he's so far beyond his popular culture peak that, like Lil Wayne, he just doesn't care, knows this could be his last shot at worldwide fame, so eff it. Whatever - I know my day's just been made.

No comments: